Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I overcome post-breakup depression?

I started dating my ex when I was nineteen. I'm 27 now. We broke up in January of this year.





Until a couple months ago I was fine. My ex and I still talked and visited each other, and there was this strange comfort in our situation... like we still loved each other and were still committed, just without the stress of living together.





Reality has only recently started to set it. We don't talk on the phone anymore, we only see each other every couple weeks, and the ';I Love Yous'; have disappeared. I suspect he is dating again, and I am to the point where I will need to also start dating again soon.





However, the loss is a lot to cope with. I find myself depressed and unmotivated. I'm an active, outgoing guy but I find that all I want to do lately is stay inside, on the computer or watching television. I'm very 'butch' and masculine, but I find myself randomly bursting into tears thinking about the breakup.





I don't want back with him. He was an alcoholic party animal, and I was a hardworking conservative professional. We didn't click, and the relationship hadn't been working for a long time.





I just need to know how to move on. I don't drink, so I don't have any interest in gay bars. And in general, I am pretty shy and unsure of myself. I'm not looking to jump right back in a relationship... I just want to move past the tears and resume a normal, single life.





Any suggestions on what I can do to get over this?How do I overcome post-breakup depression?
Set yourself some other goals. Anything Else you wanna accomplish in life that you haven't yet ? Basically keep yourself busy put something else on your mind rather than think about him and your old times together it will make you depressed. Also it wouldn't hurt to start making some new friends and potential partners. When we break up (especially if the choice isn't ours) we tend to think that was the only person for us...When there are alot of other people out there that can make us far more happier than the previous lover. we live and we learn and we MOVE ON...Good Luck sweetieHow do I overcome post-breakup depression?
Wow, that's a long relationship... I can't imagine how hard that would be.





After a serious break-up like that, it's totally normal to be depressed for a while. Just start getting out more, hang out with friends, etc. Getting yourself out there and ';away from yourself'; would be a great start.
Breakups feel like dying. :(





Throw yourself into work?
start to sleep around
I'm so sorry, that must be so difficult to go through. What I've found is that the only thing that can truly heal a breakup is time. I know that probably isn't what you want to hear, but it's true. You can drink until you pass out, listen to all the sad songs in the world, hook up lots of guys, but time is the only true healer. Go on about your life, and make an effort to think positively and force yourself to get back out there. Don't go looking for another love, take this time to heal, love will find you when it's the last thing on your mind and you'll never think twice about your ex. Sounds like you were better off without him anyways. And there will be a day when you don't even think of him. That day will turn to days, weeks, months, etc. Trust me, time is what you need.
Sounds familiar. Been there done that, it takes a long time, especially after all those years together - even if they weren't the best sometimes. You sound like you put a lot into the relationship, probably more than you should have to keep it going when you knew his style was going down the party route.





Would a few visits to a shrink help? Often it really helps to have someone to talk with who helps you see through the anger, pity, and loss.





Mostly I'd suggest that you get involved in something, church, club, sports, volunteer at the animal shelter. Get something to do, meet new people. Most of the really nice guys are busy doing something, not sitting with their TV and computer. If you are active in the community you'll find someone.
I am going through the same situation right now, i am 25 this was my first relationship with another guy and this is the hardest thing ever. What am I doing? I keep reminding to myself how this guy tried to put me down, how he didnt see how much I love him ( I still do) how he made up crap about me with his family and MY FRIENDS...it's been the hardest breakup I have ever experienced since is the first one.I know what i am worth , and I also know that what im feeling now wont last forever. He keeps calling me and sometimes I cant help it so I answer...and this is making it even worst, what are my plans? no more talking to him. I'll get over this so will you, I wish you the best and hopefully you'll find the right one in no time. Good luck
It鈥檚 up to you who you share your feelings with, but make sure you鈥檙e at least giving yourself time and space alone to just experience those feelings and let them have their own flow.


Find some solid support. For sure, not all of your friends may have the emotional maturity or life experience to understand how you鈥檙e feeling. Some may even be really bad choices to share with: a person who teases you about being sad, or who just disses your ex endlessly isn鈥檛 likely to be a good support. But do reach out to people you think may be supportive. That might be a teacher or a coach, one of your parents or a sibling, or a friend of any gender. If you鈥檙e having a supremely tough time with a breakup, finding a counselor to help you through it can also be a good step, whether that鈥檚 the counselor at school or a counseling professional through your healthcare services.

1 comment:

howtomendabrokenheart said...

Life become difficult after breakup and hard to live alone, depression become after the breakup in relationship.
Dealing with Breakup Depression

Post a Comment