Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I comfort my friend from overseas who has had a really bad breakup?

I realise that this sounds like an everyday question, but I am honestly at a loss. My two best friends got together several months ago and seemed to have this really strong relationship. One of them, Jessica, has very low self esteem and has been slowly improving under the care of both myself and Amy. Unfortunately Amy started going through a rough time and found that she could no longer support Jessica. This time put cracks in their relationship because Jessica struggled to cope with her own problems and Amy's. Other things that were a long time building up all mounted on them and Amy couldn't cope. Amy broke it off with Jessica and in doing so, has broken Jessica to pieces.


Jessica relied on Amy far too much and the loss of that relationship (though they are technically still friends) pushed her to the edge. She actually went suicidal on me though I have hopefully brought her back from that. That was an extremely long night.


But these days she is up and down, and I no longer no what to say. It's killing her inside to not text or call Amy like she used to. In fact, Amy keeps contact to a bare minimum as she can't handle the guilt of knowing the pain she caused Jessica added to her grandmother dying. But doing this hurts Jessica so much. Jessica and I are in nearly constant contact and I'm running out of things to say.


It's not like when I'm actually there when i can just hold her and let her cry, and I don't expect her to heal overnight. I went through my own bad breakup recently but I'm a suffer in silence type. And it was nowhere near as bad as what Jessica is experiencing. I'm there for her 24/7, and say every comfort I can think of. I tell her things will work out, that she'll get through this, that I love her and how amazing she is and strong etc. I just don't know what to say any more... And it's killing me that I can't hold her tight and comfort her physically. It's not the same when it's through the internet/texts. I care about my friend so much, and she is very dear to me. She is family, and it kills me that I cannot help her.


If you have any advice as to what I can do for her, that would be great... I feel like all I do is say ';I know honey' or 'It'll be ok' or 'You'll get through this' or 'Just give it time' and send her virtual hugs...How do I comfort my friend from overseas who has had a really bad breakup?
I've had friends like that. It's very hard to keep their spirits up when they don't want to see the positive side of things. I try diverting the conversation to something to look forward to, funny anecdotes, and if they really do just need to let it out, it always helps just to listen. it honestly seems like you're doing all you can. people who can't support themselves emotionally will have to learn eventually, or else use people like you, that love and care about them as crutches for the rest of their life. and if they really love you, then you should be able to use some tough love to encourage them. but it definitely depends on the mental state of the person








hope this helps %26lt;3

No comments:

Post a Comment