Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I'm in love with my best friend. How do I cope?

Sam is brilliant and very funny, looks just like Jarvis Cocker and dances like him as well, and wants to learn all the accents in the UK to travel the country, blending in seamlessly with the local population to secretly paint their portraits. I love Sam. We're like Vince Noir and Howard Moon :D





The problem is, Sam's a girl. I didn't think I was bi or gay or whatever, but I suppose I loved her ever since I met her, a year ago. I've had a few 'best friends' in the past, like the actual BEST friends who you trust completely, but I never loved them as much as I love Sam. She's beautiful and everything she does is amazing. I want to write her love letters and buy her dinner, and just have her all to myself, all the time.





I'm a pretty confident person, and one night (okay, also when we were a little drunk), I asked her if it was okay to kiss her, because she was an incredible person. She's really shy though, and she just ran away and hid (literally). I think she admires me as much as I like her, but she says she's straight and just wants to be friends.





So, she KNOWS how I feel about her, but since life isn't like movies, she's not suddenly going to go gay because I love her and we'll be happy ever after. I have a great time being her friend, but loving her makes me so unhappy, and I guess I take it out on her. And everybody else.





Since we'll never be how I want us to be, should I just break up with her? Kind of? Like a friend-breakup? That way I might be able to stop loving her. How else can I cope with this?I'm in love with my best friend. How do I cope?
The exact same thing happened to me. I feel in love with my BEST friend and when I realized it, I couldn't look past that fact. I finally told her when we were talking online about the feelings I had for her (I wasn't as brave as you were). She didn't know how to take it, but she definitely didn't have the same feelings for me. It was the first time I had ever felt that way before about a girl, but also like you, I was in love with her from the time we met. After she found out about my feelings, we didn't talk or hang out for months. I know I wouldn't have been able to do so without always having those thoughts and feelings in the back of my mind.





Months later we slowly started hanging out again and she had a boyfriend. I thought it was enough time to get over her, but it bothered me every time I saw them together. At the same time though I missed having her around and it was the best feeling ever so I dealt with it. 6 months later, she kissed me. We've been together 6 years and counting now.





I know that I'm not giving you too much advice, but I wanted to share our story with you to let you know that things can happen when you least expect them. Don't give up just yet. Give her some time. You have to remember that it's probably not that easy for her either. She might be struggling with the same feelings inside. Don't make anything happen, just let things work out on its own. If you try to hard to either stay with her or forget her, in the end you'll just be hurting yourself with all that effort. I hope everything works out for the best!I'm in love with my best friend. How do I cope?
I agree with the first answer sometimes you have to let someone go and move on because she's ';straight'; and you can't turn her gay,and i think that since you can't have her in the way you want that yes you should like have a kind of breakup with her,because it's the only way you can get over her.
As long as you are hung up on her, you will miss out on finding someone who loves you like you describe loving her.


Let her go, and move on.
You will have to settle for loving friendship, unless her desires change. She knows yours, so you need to respect her feelings and not pursue the sexual part of your relationship!
Be friends and enjoy her as friends.


Let her go and not have anything!
Ok ... here's the deal:





If you stay friends, you run the risk of causing yourself pain when you get rejected.





If you don't, you lose a friend.





So here's the deal: Stay friends, but start dating people. Don't expect anything from her. Don't even think for a second it's realistic. She's just your friend until she says otherwise (which is probably never).
I wouldn't suggest moving on or breaking up the friendship. I fell in love with my best friend over the years, now I never see him anymore and it kills me. I think about him almost every day, so I don't think the feelings will go away so easily.





But you can still be really close friends and have a girlfriend that you can love the way you want to love.
First, if you really love her and your friendship is so great, why would you cut her out of your life just because she won't have sex with you? You wouldn't want people to cut you out of their lives because your gay. Don't cut out others because they're straight. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment