Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How can I cope/heal from Verbal/Mental Abuse?

I was in a 5 year relationship where my ex-fiancee constantly abused me verbally and mentally. I've suffered numerous health and self-esteem issues do to the relationship. (severe stress, depression, low self-esteem, panic attacks, etc). Its been 2 years since our breakup. I feel like I've come along way and most of my mental issues have lessened. However, I'm in a new serious relationship now, and I notice I still feel regret,sadness, and fear about my past. I'm afraid its affecting my current relationships. My past still bothers me on a daily basis. How can I get past my verbally abusive ex? How can I cope with my past and not let it affect my current and future relationships?How can I cope/heal from Verbal/Mental Abuse?
Talk to someone (mother, sister, friend, therapist, etc.). The more you keep it bottled inside the more you think about it and feel like you're alone. You're not alone - a lot of people have gone through this. So, my advice is, obviously, to talk to someone. Communication is key.


Also, remember that the abusive person is in the past - he won't hurt you anymore.How can I cope/heal from Verbal/Mental Abuse?
Talking about it is good, but there are other ways to objectify these demons. When we objectify our demons they lose the power to control us. Write about your feelings when you are feeling them, then come back to what you wrote later, in a different state of mind. You will see how unnecessary those feelings are and why they come up for you. When you see them written down on paper you will start to see them as something separate from you.
For about 7 years of my life I've been verbally abused by my parents and practically the entire school because of my psychical appearance. It has effected me on a tremendous scale and completely reshaped my personality. Verbal abuse is just like any other abuse. It takes time to heal, it takes acceptance, patience, therapy, understanding.


Communicate alot, don't keep it bottled up. It may appear to disappear but as soon as something goes even slightly wrong, all the memories of the abuse come crashing back and pound on your head until you break down again..

No comments:

Post a Comment